Ave Maria University v. Sebelius
President Towey: "Government leaves us no choice" (click to watch)
AMU is dedicated to transmitting authentic Catholic values to students
The mandate threatens the very faith that animates AMU's mission.
Jim Towey, President of Ave Maria University, knows first-hand the immense value religious people of all faiths bring to the public square and is determined to stop the Administration’s efforts to push them to the margins. Towey worked with Mother Teresa for 12 years, and saw her establish AIDs clinics and homeless shelters, then served for 4 years as President Bush’s director of faith-based and community initiatives.
Towey brought this understanding and vision to Ave Maria, a Catholic University dedicated to transmitting authentic Catholic values to students, who can then carry those values to the world. But the Obama Administration’s contraceptive and abortion mandate threatens the very faith that animates Ave Maria’s mission.
The federal mandate has put Ave Maria in a terrible position: Either it betrays its faith and covers the drugs, or else it ends employee health benefits and pays hundreds of thousands in annual fines.
Ave Maria University’s case is the fourth lawsuit brought by the Becket Fund challenging the Obama administration’s abortion drug mandate. The Becket Fund also represents Belmont Abbey College (a Catholic college in North Carolina), Colorado Christian University (a nondenominational Christian University outside Denver), and the Eternal Word Television Network (the largest Catholic media network in the world).
Ave Maria’s renewed lawsuit was filed on August 29, 2013 in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Media Essentials
- Press Releases
- Legal Documents
- In the news
- Video and Images
- Ave Maria University Files Lawsuit Over Controversial HHS “Accommodation” (August 29, 2013)
- Towey Declaration – HHS Mandate Threatens Millions in Fines, Harms Faculty, Drains Resources and Endangers Future (October 10, 2012)
- Press Statement From President Jim Towey, February 21, 2012
- Becket Fund Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Ave Maria (February 21, 2012)
Top Legal Documents:
In the News:
- News-Press: Ave Maria lawsuit seeks to overturn president’s contraception mandate
- Washington Post: Mother Angelica’s network isn’t buying Obama’s religious liberty ruse
- (See more under In the News)
- Complaint (August 29, 2013)
- Court Opinion (March 29, 2013)
- Ave Maria’s Response to the NPRM (February 25, 2013)
- Towey Declaration - HHS Mandate Threatens Millions in Fines, Harms Faculty, Drains Resources and Endangers Future (October 10, 2012)
- Becket Fund’s Response to DOJ’s Motion to Dismiss (May 18, 2012)
- Complaint (February 21, 2012)
- Affordable Care Act Is A Violation Of Religious Liberty, Investor’s Business Daily (February 12, 2014
- Ave Maria President: We want Our Day in Court, Catholic Education Daily (August 29, 2013)
- Jim Towey: We won’t pay for free birth control, The Hill (February 6, 2013)
- Ave Maria University President to Continue Fighting Health Care Law’s Contraception Mandate, News-Press (December 12, 2012)
- Election Result Means AMU’s Fight Against Contraceptive Mandate Continues, The Ave Maria Herald (November 8, 2012)
- Ave Maria looking at health care options after 23 percent premium hike, Naples News (October 11, 2012)
- This case and other HHS litigation in the news